Saturday, May 03, 2008

Blog Genesis - My Daily Journal (1)

I started this blog some time in 2004. The original idea of doing this came to me after my mom gave me a journal that my grandfather wrote in 1971. He wrote his as part of an assignment upon returning to school at age 40. It is the only real insight I have of him and is a good look into that time. With all that in mind back in 2004, I decided to make my own modern version.
Recently, I have been reading through it again, and it strikes me that his writings would make good posts.
Tuesday: September 14, 1971
Imagine after twenty-five years, to be back in school.
All those wasted years working as a common laborer. First, as a warehouse worker, then as a baker, and finaly as a clicker die worker. If it wasn't for the repeated operations, on my left elbow, I would still be there, in the world of drudgery, and what have I got to show for my toils? A limited vocabulary but with a mind that can be healed through hard work and study.
I am grateful to be able to have an oppourtunity for a new and exciting career. Optomistic but never pessimistic. As the saying goes, "The finer things in life are never easy to achieve".

2 comments:

  1. Yes Joe... your Grandad had some insightful thoughts.
    Very meaningful and universal.
    Believe me; those journals are a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, journals are great. I have some old ones as well. Say, it just occurred to me that I'm older than your grandfather if he was 40 in 1971. I was born in Jan. 1929. Holy Moses! Well, I'm not quite as old as him.....

    ReplyDelete